I hope everyone had a safe and wonderful weekend!
Today I wanted to quickly share with you guys these Miyazaki-inspired tinted lip balms I purchased from a site called Shiro Cosmetics. They have really awesome collections inspired by the Hobbit, Harry Potter, Zelda, and many more. Even more amazing, their products are 100% vegan and cruelty-free.
If you're not aware of who Hayao Miyazaki is, he co-founded Studio Ghibli and has directed movies such as Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Ponyo, as well as others.
If you haven't seen any of these films, what are you waiting for?! Get to it.
All tints have a very subtle vanilla scent and flavor.
Description (from website):
(from left to right)
- Who Swallowed a Star (Howl's Moving Castle)
- A heart's heavy burden. Bright coral-orange in the tube applies a bit pinker than you might expect! Will leave behind a light stain.
- Ingredients: coconut oil, candelilla wax, jojoba oil, carnauba wax, red #27, red #6, iron oxide, castor oil, tocopherol, flavor.
- A Girl and A Cat (Kiki's Delivery Service)
- You'd think they'd never seen a girl and a cat on a broom before...Deep purple in the tube, applies as a medium-sheer berry.
- Ingredients: coconut oil, candelilla wax, jojoba oil, carnauba wax, red #33, blue #1, iron oxide, castor oil, tocopherol, flavor.
- It's Called Love (Spirited Away)
- Once you do something, you never forget. Even if you can't remember. Summery medium coral.
- Ingredients: coconut oil, candelilla wax, jojoba oil, carnauba wax, red #40, yellow #6, red #27, iron oxide, castor oil, tocopherol, flavor.
- Come Out, Come Out (My Neighbor Totoro)
- Tell me who you are. Are you a big dust bunny? Sheer, pretty apricot.
- Ingredients: coconut oil, candelilla wax, jojoba oil, carnauba wax, yellow #6, iron oxide, castor oil, tocopherol, flavor.
- With Eyes Unclouded (Princess Mononoke)
- You cannot change fate. However, you can rise to meet it, if you so choose. Sheer brick red with a slight brown undertone.
- Ingredients: coconut oil, candelilla wax, jojoba oil, carnauba wax, red #40, iron oxide, castor oil, tocopherol, flavor.
It states that they come in a 0.15 oz round silver tube. Mine came in a black tube with white labels, though I don't mind at all.
For those interested in what the swatches on the site looks like:
|Such beautiful colors! I wish my Come Out, Come Out swatch would like that on :<|
Sorry about the pictures of my lips :x They were surprisingly messy when I was repeatedly applying and wiping it off for the pictures. Maybe the oils in the formula were making it difficult for me to make clean edges, so the corners look very glossy.
*For those who are new readers, my lip scar is due to a dog biting off a chunk of my lip back in high school.
Application & Lasting Power: These aren't meant to stain your lips, so that means if you eat or drink something, you'll most likely need to reapply. This was to be expected so I'm not docking off points for that. In terms of moisture...when I applied it, I could immediately feel it just melting on my lips. Though it felt nice on, the application was a little difficult just because it slides on smooth...too smooth. Others who have reviewed it state that they don't feel it's very moisturizing. Though I agree, this isn't meant to be a "balm" and won't measure up to an actual chapstick. Even though it feels incredibly soft on your lips after application, some of the colors somehow just sits on your lips without being absorbed. If you do have dry lips, the color will highlight those patches or line areas. Nonetheless, I do enjoy the formula and I promise it looks so much better in person. Given the fact that I'm so used to using lip tints (which are notoriously drying), I think these were on point in terms of moisture.
If you're looking for a bright color and something that would leave a tint, Who Swallowed a Star would be great. I noticed that it does leave a very subtle tint after eating or drinking. It definitely lasts the longest out of all five.
Scent: I've read mixed reviews about how people aren't a fan of the vanilla scent, but honestly I think it's very subtle.
Price: You can purchase each tint individually for $5.00 or get all five for $22.50, plus a shipping flat rate of $2.75. It is a little expensive, considering the label is just printed on a thick sticker, however considering that these are all individually handmade, I'm letting that slide. My clumsy self quickly managed to smudge color onto the labels as I was swatching, so be careful because it'll be difficult to wipe it clean.
Order processing time: When you're checking out, there's a little box that you check that states you're aware that processing time can take up to 3 weeks, and to let them know if there's anything time-sensitive. My tints were on October 10, shipped on October 27, and received on October 31. I did happen to email after two weeks to check on my order, and the owner (Caitlin) responded very quickly to let me know my order was a few days away on the queue but she can definitely move it up if I was in a hurry. I really wasn't, so I let her know it was okay. Everything is handmade in small batches, so just know it will be a wait.
Each order comes with some candy and samples.
I love the theme of their website, and it's a huge plus for me that the owner is the one personally responding to all emails. If I was into wearing eye shadow, I would've most likely purchased all of her collections by now. I love the formula of these lip balms, so I'm a little disappointed that not all the colors were flattering on me. Out of all the colors, I think my favorite would have to be With Eyes Unclouded and I may actually repurchase it someday. I think these are perfect for every day use when I don't feel like getting my lips annihilated and chapped with my usual tints. I now carry two of the colors every day in my purse and it's my go-to whenever I feel like my lips are getting dry again. For those that are familiar with the Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm, I like these better because they're actually more moisturizing and creamier in texture. I tried a baby pink color from Baby Lips before, and it had the same crappy effect on me like Come Out, Come Out so I'm overall assuming those type of colors are just not compatible with me.
I purchased quite a few lip products in the past month, so get prepared for the reviews >_<